How to Get a Student Visa for USA

How to Get a Student Visa for USA

For anyone who wishes to study in the United States of America, obtaining a student visa is the first requirement. The US Government provides learning opportunities in its educational institutions to students from various countries, but as a prerequisite, you will have to apply for a student visa.

There are various types of student visas the US offers. The visa you have to apply for depends on your age and the type of education you plan to pursue in the United States.

There are three different types of US student visas:

• F1 student visa

This is the most common type of student visa in the US that many apply for. It allows you to enrol yourself and study in an accredited US college or university, or you can study English in an English language institute.

• J Exchange visa

This type of student visa allows the visa holder to participate in an exchange program, including both high school and university.

• M student visa

If you wish to participate in a non-academic or vocational study or training in the United States, then this type of student visa is for you.

What are the basic requirements?

There are several requirements you need to meet if you want to obtain a student visa. Here are the most important documents you will require to obtain for an F1 student visa:

  • A valid passport
  • A passport photograph
  • A Non-Immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
  • The receipt for the application fee payment
  • A filled Form 1-20.
  • Other documents such as diplomas, degrees, certificates, academic transcripts, TOEFL, SAT, GMAT, or GRE test scores, etc. which may be requested

The best way to get a student visa

To be eligible for an F1 student visa, you need to first be accepted into a university or school in the US that is certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program or SEVP. You will have to apply to the institution of your choice about six to twelve months before your US study.

After you have been accepted into the institution, you will receive a Form 1-20 from the international student office of that institution. Form 1-20 is a physical record of your information in a database known as the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). You will have to pay a SEVIS fee.

After receiving your I-20, you then have to complete your visa application form and pay the fee. You will have to attach a recent passport size photograph as well. Attend your visa interview on the scheduled date, and your visa will either be approved or rejected based on your documentation and interview.

Where to apply?

After you receive your SEVIS form and you have paid the fee, you can apply for a US student visa by making an appointment with a US consulate or embassy in your country.

Regardless of when your program is starting, it is always suggested that you apply as early as possible. This is because visa processing times are unpredictable, and while some may receive their visa in a short time, some have to wait very long. Your student visa can be issued by the embassy up to 120 days before your date of entry into the United States.

Win the Green Card Lottery and study in USA hassle-free as long as you like

A great way to study and stay in the US for as long as you like, without having to worry about visa expiry dates, is to win the Green Card Lottery, officially known as the Diversity Immigrant Visa Lottery.

Each year, the US Government issues 50,000 Green Cards to people from eligible Diversity Visa countries who wish to become Permanent Residents of the United States.

You can apply online here

Sharing is caring!